Monday, May 03, 2004

Asking For Help

One of the absolutely best ways to improve your business, or anything else, is to ask for help. This seems so basic that you probably ask why I would write something like this.

Let me tell you a story. A long time ago, when I had just started my first job out of school I was given a PC and a software program, Symphony.

I spent 5 hours trying to get the program to boot up. I read the manual. I banged on the computer. I did everything but ask. After five hours I went - all embarrassed that I could not get the computer to start - and admitted to my boss that his new hire apparently could not read. Instead of looking at me like I was an idiot, he laughed and stated, “I forgot to tell you that the instructions are wrong, you would never get it started without asking.”

While it took me many more years to learn to ask freely for help I now save many hours a week by asking questions.

Perhaps you might do the same?

No comments: